- What is hearty vegetable stew?
- 4 Easy Steps to Prepare Hearty Vegetable Stew
- 1. Add the olive oil to a large pot over medium heat.
- 2. Add the flour slowly while stirring the vegetables to coat them with it.
- 3. Stir in the potato, sweet potato, tomato paste, soy sauce, nutritional yeast, liquid smoke, and marmite.
- 4. Stir in the frozen peas and red wine vinegar, and cook for another 5 minutes or until the peas are warm.
What is hearty vegetable stew?
A nourishing vegetable stew with healthful carbohydrates, veggies, mushrooms, and a flavorful broth. Paired with a thick slice of homemade bread – perfect. Stews have been made since ancient times. In Japan, the nation’s earliest documented evidence of stew was discovered during the Jmon era. Additionally, Herodotus says that the Scythians (8th to 4th centuries BC) „put the flesh into an animal’s paunch, mix water with it, and boil it like that over the bonfire.
- 10 oz baby mushroom (275 g), quartered
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup flour (30 g)
- ¾ cup dry red wine (180 mL)
- 4 cups red potato (900 g), diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth (960 mL)
- 2 leaves bay leaf
4 Easy Steps to Prepare Hearty Vegetable Stew
These are the simplest steps in preparing a delicious dish that most often people follow to gain an outstanding result of the famous and simple dish.
1. Add the olive oil to a large pot over medium heat.
Heat the oil in a large container or Dutch pan above moderate heat. Add onions, celery, and carrot to the heated oil. Simmer for 7-10 min, just until the onions are translucent, stirring periodically. Add the garlic, black pepper, and fresh herbs, and cook for another 2 minutes.
2. Add the flour slowly while stirring the vegetables to coat them with it.
Simmer for 4-5 min, or until onions are semi-translucent, adding the onions, carrots, and celery as needed. When all of the flour has been poured, simmer for about 1 min while continuously mixing. Gently drizzle in the white wine and vegetable broth, about 1/4 cup at a time, stirring constantly to ensure that the fluid and flour are thoroughly combined.
3. Stir in the potato, sweet potato, tomato paste, soy sauce, nutritional yeast, liquid smoke, and marmite.
Bring to simmer the potatoes, vegetable broth, and bay leaf. Lower the heat to moderate and cook for 45 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked and the broth has concentrated, stirring periodically. Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender and stew is thickened, 20-30 minutes.
4. Stir in the frozen peas and red wine vinegar, and cook for another 5 minutes or until the peas are warm.
Season to taste with salt and pepper, and additional vinegar if desired. Serve hot.
The hearty vegetable stew is one of the most delicious dishes you can easily prepare at home. Thick and hearty vegetable stew that’s naturally gluten-free and vegan! Use your favorite vegetables in this flavorful, savory, comforting recipe! Your choice really. Just remember with the lid off, more moisture will evaporate, basically thickening the stew. If you like the consistency as it is, leave the lid on! Hope that helps and enjoy!